WBL October General Meeting
Wednesday October 17, 2018
11 A.M. – Light lunch–No Charge—Guests Encouraged
300 Lake Marina Dr. NOLA 70124
Limited parking in the rear or front (unmarked spaces only) guard will admit you-
If lot is full it is permissible to park in some places along street
If possible, please let us know if you plan to attend – call Barbara @ 504-283-5484 by Sat. October13th — Please speak slowly & leave your name & phone #
Hope to see you either way!
SUSTAINING OUR LANDSCAPE
Susannah Burley, Founder & Executive Director
Susannah Burley has a Master’s of Landscape Architecture degree from Louisiana State University. From 2012-2016, she served as Program Director at Parkway Partners, a New Orleans-based non-profit, where she oversaw the ReLeaf tree planting program, the urban farms/community gardens program, schoolyard garden program, incubated their green infrastructure program, and hosted eighty four hours of community environmental education. She is a member of the Greater New Orleans Water Collaborative, serves on the board of Friends of Lafitte Greenway, and is passionate about working collaboratively with communities in driving resilient environmental change.
In 2016 she founded SOUL in order to strategically reforest New Orleans at a meaningful scale and as a system.
SOUL (Sustaining Our Urban Landscape) is driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans by reforesting our urban landscape.
WHAT MAKES SOUL UNIQUE?
- We plant trees to serve as natural systems and infrastructure. We plant in clusters to better stave off flooding, reduce pollution, improve community health, and provide beauty and shade.
- We plant trees together with community members who drive the reforestation of their own community or neighborhood. SOUL trains block captains to canvass their neighborhoods and collect permits from homeowners.
- We oversee the planting of every tree and help ensure its successful growth. We provide tree guards for every tree to protect against weed-eater damage, the number one killer of trees.
- We map every tree we plant so that we can keep track of its progress.
- We also provide maintenance guidelines to every home/business that receives trees, and are always available to answer questions.
December 12, 2018 – Vincent’s Restaurant
January 16, 2019
February 18-21, 2019 – Science Fair
March 20, 2019
April 17, 2019
May 15, 2019 – Installation (Place to be determined)